AT&T 6386E/33 diagnostics; anybody got 'em?

Dr. Scump aland at infmx.UUCP
Tue Mar 13 12:59:12 AEST 1990

I'd be interested in hearing from anybody who has one of the 33s
(ESDI or Model S) to see if *anyone* has received diagnostics yet.

I've been waiting since late December; this is getting ridiculous.
I've sent in two separate request cards.

I've been running into some *nasty* hardware flaws with the machine
and add-ons, and groping in the dark without diagnostics is murder.

Example:
Note that with memory problems, the POST info is *bogus* (this has
been verified with 2 hotline engineers); it frequently gives incorrect
failure addresses or *no* addresses at all!  On one of my expansion
boards, the POST memory scan just stops after 11 MB; no error
messages, no nothing.  I know there's a board flaw or bad SIMM(s)
because if I set it for 8 MB instead of 16, it finds all 8 MB
just fine.  Another POST gotcha: the counter is only 6 hex digits!
If you hit a memory error above 16MB, the leading hex digit of the
address is *dropped*.  Therefore, if you have a memory problem in the
10th logical SIMM accessed by an expansion board, instead of reporting
address 10.....H, it will be 1.....H, which makes you think it's the
second motherboard SIMM !

If anybody has the final versions of the Customer and System
Diagnostics disks, I would consider it a big favor if you could send
me copies.  I am currently using beta versions of both, and they seem
a little flaky...

--
Alan S. Denney # Informix # aland at informix.com # {pyramid|uunet}!infmx!aland
 CAUTION: Objects in terminal are closer than they appear...

 "These tests will have no effect on your grades.  They will merely
  determine your future social status and financial success, if any."