Why bother? was Re: Running serial printer at 19200 baud on 3B1?

Kevin O'Gorman kevin at kosman.UUCP
Sun Mar 25 04:33:41 AEST 1990

In article <225 at tapest.UUCP> sbw at tapest.UUCP (Steve Wampler) writes:
>Is there any way to convince the unixpc to set a serial port
>to 19.2KB with a printer attached?  lpsetup doesn't have
>a setting for it (stops at 9600) and changing the entry
>in /usr/spool/lp/baudrates doesn't seem to do anything.

What kind of printer are you using that would make you care?  If you
haven't done the arithmetic yet, be aware that VERY few printers
in common use with small computers can even keep up with 9600 baud.
That's ~10Kbits =~ 1KB per second, when typical ratings are under 200
for most small printers.  Even 600lpm printers amount to 10lps, which
is 1KB/sec only on lines averaging about 100 characters.  And I've
not heard of many 600 LPM printers that wouln't cost more than your 3b1.

Anyhow, if you still have a good reason, I don't know why fiddling with
'baudrates' didn't do it for you: this is read by the script in
/usr/spool/lp/interface/, and is sent to a 'stty' command, which understands
19200 just fine (I use it all the time for a modem line).

--
Kevin O'Gorman ( kevin at kosman.UUCP, kevin%kosman.uucp at nrc.com )
voice: 805-984-8042 Vital Computer Systems, 5115 Beachcomber, Oxnard, CA  93035