problems creating library on unix-pc

Thomas J. Pusateri pusateri at macbeth.cs.duke.edu
Fri Mar 16 04:10:10 AEST 1990

	I was recently creating a library of the Numerical Recipes in C on
my AT&T 3b1. I may be asking too much but ar didn't seem to want to handle
this large of a library. I even striped the internal symbols out to make
the objects smaller with the following sequence when compiling each C file:

libnrc.a:	$(OBJS)
	ar rv $@ $(OBJS)

.c.o:
	$(CC) -O $(CFLAGS) -c $<
	@ld -r -x $*.o
	@mv a.out $*.o

	I would like to make this a shared library file if possible. Does
anyone know how to create your own shared libraries on the unix-pc? If I
could link it with the existing shared libaries as well, this might also
reduce the size. Is there a limit on the number of objects that ar can
handle?

Thanks for any info

Tom Pusateri
pusateri at nbsr.duke.edu

Below is the disected output from typing make:

	cc -O -I.. -c adi.c
[other compilations deleted]
	cc -O -I.. -c zroots.c

	ar rv libnrc.a adi.o amoeba.o anneal.o avevar.o badluk.o balanc.o
[many objects deleted]
trapzd.o tred2.o tridag.o ttest.o tutest.o twofft.o  vander.o zbrac.o zbrak.o
zbrent.o zroots.o
a - adi.o
a - amoeba.o
a - anneal.o