Monthly posting about Unix-PC network

Karl Swartz kls at ditka.UUCP
Sun Nov 4 17:35:51 AEST 1990

In article <35534 at cup.portal.com> thad at cup.portal.com (Thad P Floryan) writes:
>kirkaas at makaha.cs.ucla.edu (paul kirkaas) in <1990Nov3.045636.12735 at cs.ucla.edu
> > unix-pc.sources --- and that's the group I was told was too
> > big to forward via email.

>As far as UCLA administration asserting unix-pc.* is too big to forward via
>e-mail, bushwa!  How do you think much of the stuff is presently propagated?

Virtually all of the traffic is propagated via NetNews -- compressed
batches over uucp or nntp over the Internet.  Perhaps being a Portal
user rather than running a Usenet site you're not familiar with the
difference between that and e-mail, Thad?

> > UCLA is a pretty big school and we get all the newsgroups I've ever
> > heard of; but the local net administration looked into the unix-pc
> > newsgroups and said it was pretty tough for them to get a feed here.

>there is NO problem getting a direct feed (of the unix-pc.* hierarchy)
>right into your own 3B1 (assuming you don't mind a (possibly) long-
>distance phone call).

On this count I'll wholeheartedly agree with Thad, with the addition
that big sites (UCLA, for example) on the Internet can easily get the
hierarchy via nntp from a number of sites.  Any administrator of an
Internet site who claims it would be "pretty touch for them to get a
feed" of unix-pc is either unbelievably ignorant or unbelievably lazy.
Or maybe both.

Anybody who wants a unix-pc feed is welcome to a feed from either of
my machines -- ditka (San Jose, California) or royko (northwest Chicago
suburbs, Illinios).  Both are PC Pursuitable; ditka has a TrailBlazer
Plus though royko is only 2400.

I'm also willing to help folks wanting an nntp feed of unix-pc, either
showing them which of their feeds already carry it, or if necessary I
can help them arrange a feed through Stanford University.

--
Karl Swartz			 |UUCP	{uunet,decwrl}!daver!ditka!kls
1-408/223-1308			 |INet	kls at ditka.chicago.com
"I never let my schooling get in |BIX	kswartz
the way of my education."(Twain) |Snail	1738 Deer Creek Ct., San Jose CA 95148