Number of users limit for Unix 3.2.1 (is what)?

Bill Mayhew wtm at uhura.neoucom.EDU
Mon Sep 24 00:59:04 AEST 1990

The recent discussion the 16 user limit and expansion thereof for
3.2.2 led me to wonder about my 3.2.1.  I looked for /etc/license
or mention in the manuals, but there is no mention of the subject.

The 3.2.1 that I have came as part of an educational institutional
grant deal from AT&T where Unix came as a mandatory part of buying
6386 systems.  Eventhough most of the people buying the 6386s
wanted to run only DOS, it was still cheaper to buy the systems and
just stick Unix on a shelf somewhere.  It is a full (at least by
AT&T's notion) unix system that inlcudes the compilers, etitors and
assorted stuff.

That leads me to one gripe.  You'd think that AT&T could at least
include the nroff part of DWB as part of the full Unix system.  Not
being able to format and print man pages is ridiculous.  Expecting
me to buy all of DWB from Image Network, Elan, etc. is unfair.
Apple, Sun, Interactive, et al manage to include at least nroff if
not troff too.  Grrrr.  One hopes that this polciy might change
with Sys V release 4 (please?).

==Bill==
--
Bill Mayhew      NEOUCOM Computer Services Department
Rootstown, OH  44272-9995  USA    phone: 216-325-2511