Adding Hardrive & Controller to 6300 (M24)?

Bill Mayhew wtm at uhura.neoucom.EDU
Tue Apr 30 10:31:12 AEST 1991

The Xerox 6064 will work with 3rd party disk controllers such as
the WX-1002.  It is best to switch the motherboard dipswitch
setting to "use external HDU code", the numan translation of which
is "link INT 13H to any ROM extensions found in the BIOS expansion
address range".  E.g. C800.  Otherwise, the BIOS is hard-coded for
INT 13H to work with a DTC controller card.

If my recollection is right, the Xerox manuals are absolutely
horrible and don't document the dipswitch settings worth beans.  It
is best to dig up an AT&T 6300 manual and follow the settings
there.  I am fairly certain that most if not all Xerox 6064s had
ROM BIOS version 1.36.  1.36 had the same switch settings as AT&T
1.21, but included the "PAL-90" fix PAL chip.

You can, and I have in my own Xerox 6064, install AT&T ROM BIOS
verion 1.43.  You don't need to install the AT&T PAL, just the ROMS
if you have Xerox 1.36.  1.43 gets you internal BIOS support for
Western Digital controller cards and also the ability to scan for
EGA BIOS extensions and the like.  There are a number of problems
with trying to use EGA cards, but that is another article.  If you
have a floppy/hard controller, disable the floppy port on the
controller card and stick with the drive controller on the
motherboard.

Bill

--
Bill Mayhew      NEOUCOM Computer Services Department
Rootstown, OH  44272-9995  USA    phone: 216-325-2511