bad blocks on 3B2

Greg A. Woods woods at eci386.uucp
Tue Apr 23 07:17:43 AEST 1991

[ Followup's finally to comp.sys.att! ]

In article <Apr.17.11.08.20.1991.20203 at romulus.rutgers.edu> cermak at romulus.rutgers.edu (Rob Trott Cermak) writes:
> We have a 3B2 machine that encountering some disk drive errors, specifically
> bad blocks.  The hdlogger shows us that there are particularly two bad
> blocks with others shown around it.  We wish to fix the problem but the
> documentation does give sufficient information.

You'll find more pertinent information in either the Administrator's
Guide, or in the Owner/Operator's Manual, and in the manual page for
hdefix(1m) [I think that's the correct spelling -- check the Permuted
Index or the "See Also" section of the hdelogger(1m) manual page].
Hdefix is the command you must run to permanently mark the given
sectors as bad.

(How can anyone say the 3B2 documentation doesn't give sufficient
information.  I've never seen so many manuals for a system!)

> The 3B2 machine running UNIX only has one drive.  Documentation in
> the system adm. manual only shows how to re-format a second drive in
> /etc/fmthard.

/etc/fmthard does not format disks, but rather only lays down a new
VTOC (Volume Table Of Contents).

To re-format a drive you need either the devtools disk, or the (newer)
idtools diskette.
--
							Greg A. Woods
woods@{eci386,gate,robohack,ontmoh,tmsoft}.UUCP		ECI and UniForum Canada