Adding Hard Drive to 3B2/300

Gregory Gulik greg at gagme.chi.il.us
Thu Jun 6 05:33:09 AEST 1991

ian at rathe.cs.umn.edu (Ian Hogg) writes:
> We just bought a very used 3B2/300 to aid in porting software to our clients
> 3B2/1000's.  It came with virtually no manuals and a 30Mb hard disk.  Can
> anyone here give me advice about adding a second hard drive or even just replacing
> the one that is in it.  We did get the installation disks so we should be able
> to reinstall if we get the disk configured right.  We've been told that the
> this wondeful machine uses ST-506 interface and MFM encoding.

Yes, it's possible.

Theoretically it's possible to attach any MFM drive to the 3B2.
Whether that's true or not, I'll find out soon!!!

But anyway.  Your 3B2 has two sockets on the back.  That's where
you attach the data and control cables.  I had a friend make them
for me.  You will have to supply the power yourself.  Either
pick up an old PC case and powersupply, or get the XM (expansion
module).

Also, you'll need the Computer Maintenance Manual that comes
with a utilities floppy that will format your hard drive
for you.  You can get that from good 'ol friendly AT&T.

Well, that's just an overview of what it involves.  There
are a lot of strange details (like having to reverse one
of the cables because my machine seemed to be put together
wrong!).  You can contact me by E-mail if you need any help.

Good luck.

-greg

--
Gregory A. Gulik                                        Call Gagme, a public
       greg at gagme.chi.il.us  ||  ...uunet!motcid!gulik  access UNIX system at