COMP.SYS.NCR ??

Kevin Darcy kevin at cfctech.cfc.com
Thu Jun 27 08:36:40 AEST 1991

In article <1991Jun23.014738.6362 at netcom.COM> cmilono at netcom.COM (Carlo Milono) writes:
>What with the merger happening, significant changes in products, and
>uncertain support policies, what about a new group?  I realize that
>there will be venerable AT&T microcomputers humming for many a year from
>now, and so perhaps this group should survive, but some of the new
>products on the horizon (from NCR/AT&T) are really exciting - the
>3450 and 35/26/3700's...I don't know much about their 'PCs' yet, except
>that NCR bullied AT&T into the Microchannel architecture.

The rumor mill sayeth that NCR is going to engulf and devour AT&T's computer
business, so the days of comp.sys.att, AS A NEWSGROUP WHICH REFLECTS THE REAL
MARKETPLACE, are definitely numbered. Of course, maybe 3B's will become "cult
classics" on the Net, just like UNIX-PC's did...

>The 3B2 family will live for a piece and an upgrade to a MIPS CPU
>is due shortly.

The 3B2/WeCo family, as a competitive line, is already dead. The fact that no
R4 port will be offered for it is merely a nail in its coffin.

The 3B2/MIPS family is a -different- family, with the questionable "feature"
of being compatible with the over-priced, under-performing peripherals of the
3B2/WeCo family.

Whoopee.

kevin at cfctech.cfc.com 		  | Kevin Darcy, Unix Systems Administrator
...sharkey!cfctech!kevin 	  | Technical Services (CFC)
Voice: (313) 759-7140 		  | Chrysler Corporation
Fax:   (313) 758-8173 		  | 25999 Lawrence Ave, Center Line, MI 48015