Preventing paging/swapping

Tom Reingold tr at samadams.princeton.edu
Sat Jun 29 05:37:46 AEST 1991

night at aix01.aix.rpi.edu (Trip Martin) writes:

$ Does anyone know of a way to prevent a 3b2 from swapping and paging?
$ Either locking pages in memory or turning off swapping completely
$ is acceptable (although the latter is preferred).  I'm going to
$ be using a dedicated machine for an application which will be
$ using most of real memory, and performance constraints requires
$ that swapping not occur.

My suggestions are so basic that I fear I may not understand your
question.

Anyway, the two techniques are

	1. buy more memory.  At some level of memory, you won't ever
	page or swap.

	2. Set the sticky bit on your application.  This can decrease
	system performance if it leaves insufficient memory for other
	essential processes.
--
        Tom Reingold
        tr at samadams.princeton.edu  OR  ...!princeton!samadams!tr