3b1 hardware question...drives:

Thaddeus P. Floryan thad at public.BTR.COM
Sat Jun 8 21:15:20 AEST 1991

In article <-.xh=6h at rpi.edu> cac at iear.arts.rpi.edu (Christopher A. Cox) writes:

>	Upon taking a 3b1 apart I see that it is using a pretty standard
>MFM drive (Miniscribe 6085).  Is it possible to add a second drive to
>this?  No particular need for one - I just wondered whether the
>controller can do this.  Thanks...

Yes, with some straightforward mods one can add up to, say, two Maxtor XT2190
drives for > 300MB online storage.

Swapping a WD2010 for the WD2010 permits use of HDs with more than 1024 cyls,
and adding the P5.1 motherboard mod (several versions depending on one's needs)
permits use of drives with more than 8 heads.  You'll need the enhanced s4 diag
disk to prepare the HD(s) for either > 1024 cyls or > 8 heads.

All the details of that, and more, have been recently posted in the monthly
FAQ (Frequently Asked Questions) in the comp.sys.3b1 newsgroup where you'll
find participants from around the world (even from the Soviet Union).

Thad Floryan [ thad at btr.com (OR) {decwrl, mips, fernwood}!btr!thad ]