Shells for SYSV machines

Bill Mayhew wtm at uhura.neoucom.EDU
Wed Jun 12 12:45:44 AEST 1991

I have before me, a disk that says: "386 Unix (r) System V release
3.1 The Korn Shell   6386 WGS".  There is copyright notice dated
1987, etc, and a part number "1333004-ET01-0262-X ver 1.1 1 of 1"
on the floppy.  It has what appears to be a real AT&T sticker and
envelope with it.

I got this in a box full of miscelaneous junk that I got at a flea
market.  Though it says release 3.1, it seems to work just fine on
my 3.2.1 system.  The disk is an installpkg format with only the
binaries and short release notes.

Is this the bargain of the century or something?  Does AT&T really
charge $3000 for ksh?  I got hooked on ksh on the Unix PC and
really missed it in the 386 environment.  Do I have to burn this
disk and disavow ever having seen it, or should I bury it in an
atom bomb proof cellar for safe keeping?

Please don't write asking for a copy.  I only have the one disk.

The 386 release really is inexcusably incomplete without the text
processing tools and all of the shells.  I was really surprised
that even nroff is absent (and I'm still looking for that).

Bill

--
Bill Mayhew      NEOUCOM Computer Services Department
Rootstown, OH  44272-9995  USA    phone: 216-325-2511