3B2 SCSI Soft Power fun...

Jon Allen jrallen at devildog.att.com
Fri Jun 28 04:07:45 AEST 1991

In article <1991Jun27.021618.664 at robohack.UUCP> woods at robohack.uucp (Greg A. Woods) writes:

>I just went through an episode that gave me a good scare.
>
>I came home this evening to find my DM/135e with its power light out

This happens very often at work.  Our building has several power hits per
week and quite often all the SCSI drive power lights will be out.  The
first time this happened really scared me too.  I had about 10 SCSI
items out (135s, 300s, TS60s, TS120s).  After messing around with the
power switch, I uncabled everything to swap out the controller.  Lo and
behold, it all came back up when re-cabled.  Since then I have learned
that unplugging the power to the drives for about 30seconds seems to
cure the problem.

This same thing happens if the drive overheats when the AC fails (this
happens 2-3 times a year - nice building eh?).  I sure would like to see
a schematic of the power supplies.  I can't imagine how line problems
and overheating trigger the drive to shut off and a 20 second unplug (not
just a switch off) resets the power supply.

-Jon
--
jon_r_allen at att.com   Piscataway, NJ USA