MSDOS Starlan Client

Skip Addison saddison at ca.excelan.com
Sat Mar 16 22:35:42 AEST 1991

The News Manager)
Date: Fri, 15 Mar 1991 15:59:36 GMT

In article <1991Mar14.191415.7062 at cfctech.cfc.com> norm at cfctech.cfc.com (Norman J. Meluch) writes:
>Of course this fix [using loadhi to load software in HI RAM] only works
>well on a 386 AT bus clone.  Microchannel PCs
>don't really have enough high memory available to be much help, and 286/XT
>type machines don't often have a loadhi ability available.

Not quite true.  I'm using loadhi on a 286 machine now, but it requires
an expanded memory board with HARDWARE SUPPORT for LIM 4.0.  Many
expanded memory boards only have partial support for LIM 4.0.  At my local
Fry's Electronics, the boards without the necessary support were $80-100.
The one board they had which would create "HI RAM" was $195.  We needed
the hi memory and the board was cheaper than buying a new computer, so....
It's working fine using LOADHI on a network.

-- Skip