Re-partitiioning of HD in 3B2

Art Gentry rag at genco.bungi.com
Thu Mar 14 14:46:45 AEST 1991

In article <3101 at esquire.dpw.com> ibarra at DPW.COM (Michael Ibarra) writes:

>	I have changed my hard drive from a 32 Meg CDC Wren to an 80 Meg CDC
>Wren II. I had a bad core set at the time so I just did a disk to disk copy
>from my 32 Meg to my new boot disk the CDC Wren II. I haave had no problems
>with this set-up, except that the partitions are still for a 32 Meg drive,
>not giving me the full storage available to me. I have the old CDC 32 Meg
>set up as /usr2 and I am going to keep it this way (unless I can hear of a
>better way?). I have the first drive partitioned for / & /usr, I wish to in-
>crease the partitions to reflect that of a CDC Wren II for / & /usr. I would
>rather not have to reload the operating system with a full core restore, as I
>already have alot of info on these and it would be very tedious backing up, thenreloading selective filesystems.

To repartition a 3b drive, you have no choice but to do a full restore, but
it's not as terrible as it may sound.  First make a full backup of your
current drive (I recommend making 2 complete backup sets), then do your
full restore, but all you need to "install" is the essential utilities.
After re-partitioning your disk, then restore your backups to the
appropriate file systems.  Make sure you set the flag to overwrite an
existing file or you'll find you still have the default installed
config files instead of your already config'd files (lp, uucp, /unix, etc.)
As to the file system layouts, I would recommend that you put / and /usr
on separate physical discs if possible.  You'll find your response time
may be drasticly improved.

|   R. Arthur Gentry  --  Gentry & Associates -- Excelsior Springs, MO    |
| gentry at genco.bungi.com       uunet!daver!genco!gentry      816-637-2443 |
|Computer Consultants specializing in UNIX system admin, mgmt and security|
|               I am the boss - so my opinions DO count!                  |