uucp & rfs

Leslie Mikesell les at chinet.chi.il.us
Sat Mar 2 03:01:38 AEST 1991

In article <1991Feb28.202549.6856 at chinet.chi.il.us> les at chinet.chi.il.us (Leslie Mikesell) writes:

[Following up my own article about cu/uucp accessing remote tty via RFS]

>I just tried this with some '386 machines and it came remarkably close
>to working.

And now I've tried it with 3B2's and it doesn't come quite as close to
working there.  The modems are set to only assert carrier detect when
a connection is made (the only correct way...) and the Dialer scripts
use the \M \m tokens to control CLOCAL while dialing.  The dialer
goes through the motions of setting CLOCAL, then immediately fails with
"lost line" anyway.

Seems strange that a large amount of effort has gone into making HDB
recognize remote devices and it still was released without working
right.  Does anyone have an explanation?  Am I the first one outside
of AT&T to even try using it?

Les Mikesell
  les at chinet.chi.il.us