Drive type in 3b1

Thaddeus P. Floryan thad at public.BTR.COM
Thu Mar 14 21:05:02 AEST 1991

In article <107 at kbvan.com> dave at kbvan.com (Dave Van Allen) writes:
>I hope I'm posting to the right place for this, correct me if
>I'm wrong.
>[...]
>The front plate on the system says it has a 67Meg drive, but there
>is no 67 meg drive in the type table. The nearest maych is 64meg but
>we are worried that this type may not have the correct number of heads
>cyl's etc.

comp.sys.3b1 is the correct newsgroup (and, still, for awhile, unix-pc.*)

The 64MB drive selection is the correct one due to how spare sectors are
allocated on the drive.

The largest HD on an unmodified 3B1 has 8 heads and 1024 cylinders, uses
MFM recording, and has 17 sectors per track; you should pick the entry
with these numbers, or select "other" and simply enter these numbers at
each prompt.

If you're truly starting from scratch, you may wish to consider some mods
that permit up to two 150MB HDs.  Again, browse comp.sys.3b1

Thad Floryan [ thad at btr.com (OR) {decwrl, mips, fernwood}!btr!thad ]