sar -d and ESDI drives

Wm E. Davidsen Jr davidsen at sixhub.UUCP
Wed May 8 09:46:05 AEST 1991

In article <1991May02.135710.7757 at chinet.chi.il.us> randy at chinet.chi.il.us (Randy Suess) writes:

| 	sar -d is broke in most (all?) 386 unix's.  Seems no-one
| 	is able to convert the 3b2 based routines in sar for disk
| 	monitoring to the pc-bused controllers.  AT&T tried to
| 	fix it in their 3.2.3 release, but broke everything else.

  Maybe. It was broken in ODT1.0 and seems fixed in the new (1.1?)
version which came out recently. However I noted that every once in a
while it printed a blank line. I tried it on (Dell) V.4, and that seems
to work, but every once in a while prints "nan" in a field. I suggest as
a possibility that some values may be overflowing, trapping, and not
getting printed or counted in the average. The blank lines went away
when I started three copies of find looking through all 700MB for a file
which wasn't there. Then I got reasonable results, as I did when I just
said "sar -d" with no args.

  Guess I'll say it's not broken on all versions, although it still
seems a trifle bent on a lightly loaded system.
--
bill davidsen - davidsen at sixhub.uucp (uunet!crdgw1!sixhub!davidsen)
    sysop *IX BBS and Public Access UNIX