What do you know about tapes...?

Ed Arnold era at scdpyr.ucar.edu
Fri Aug 5 13:13:26 AEST 1988

In article <254 at execu.UUCP> dewey at execu.UUCP (Dewey Henize) writes:
>   As a software company, we have always strived to produce distribution
>tapes in the 'native' form of the various customers we have - and this has
>included machines like IBM with os's like MVS.  This can produce some tape
>blocks of quite sizable length.  On the Pr1mes, you pay Pr1me very large
>sums of money and they make mods to the operating system that almost work
>so you can write the tapes.  The question is, though, are we going to run
>into this same level of incompatability with various *nix machines?  (I'm
>asking about pyramid, but info on DEC, HP, or  Sun would be helpful too,

Dewey -

There have been several items in the sun-spots mailing list (comp.sys.sun)
recently about this.  Look at issues between v6n150 and v6n160, approx.
There are several contacts you can make thru the list, who are writing
IBM compatible tapes on Suns and appear to know the ins and outs.
--------
Ed Arnold * NCAR (Nat'l Center for Atmospheric Research) * Mesa Lab
PO Box 3000 * Boulder, CO  80307-3000 * 303-497-1253
era at ncar.ucar.edu [128.117.64.4] * {ames,gatech,noao,...}!ncar!era