Gratuitous console msgs

Charles Hedrick hedrick at athos.rutgers.edu
Tue Aug 30 12:24:50 AEST 1988

Well, I asked the developers about the "rwip: bn < 0, error 69", and
they said "this is a debugging message that we didn't mean to leave in
the release.  You should just comment it out."  Obviously that
requires source (which we have).  So it's clearly a bug.  I don't mind
having RTOC say it isn't worth fixing.  It's a minor problem, though
it could be serious if it causes real error messages to be missed.
But to say it isn't a bug is certainly wrong.

I've also been annoyed by the messages saying that someone is going
over quota.  Again, this is not really intentional.  The problem is
that they've got this code that prints a message whenever a process
goes over quota.  Usually it gets put on the controlling terminal for
the user to see.  But if the process doesn't have a controlling
terminal, the console gets it.  You can't just suppress all such
messages on the console, because somebody might be using the console
for real work, and go over quota.  So there was no easy way to know
when to print it and when not to.  One could argue that if there's no
user to see it, you should make sure that you alert the operator.  But
that argument is bogus: Since the message doesn't tell you who is over
quota, there's nothing the operator can do about it.  This is just
another thing that happened to work that way and isn't serious enough
to bother fixing.