UUCP failures in att universe (LONG)

Greg Noel greg at ncr-sd.SanDiego.NCR.COM
Wed Jul 27 10:53:40 AEST 1988

In article <31918 at pyramid.pyramid.com> csg at pyramid.pyramid.com
(Carl S. Gutekunst) writes:
>C'mon guys, cut me a break, will ya?  ....
    ... [ long explanation of bug removed ] ...
>Happy now? Humiliate me into fixing a bug, will you?  ....

He sent me the bug fix, all right; it's a new version of /bin/mkdir.  I
installed it last Thursday to see if it would fix the problems.  Son-of-
a-gun, the directory botch problems went away; on top of that, the problem
with the wrong ownership of the UUCP queue files also went away.  So that
much seems to work; congratulations, Carl; you managed to get it right.  (I
haven't yet found what you broke with your cure, but I'm still looking.)

In his cover letter describing the bug fix to RTOC, he said:
>Well, isn't this a fine kettle of fish: the SVR3.1 mkdir tickled a kernel bug
>in setuid() that Greg Noel always suspected was there, but we couldn't repro-
>duce. So.... to really do this right, you need a new mkdir, *and* a kernel PTF.
(I hope he doesn't mind my quoting this; the information seems like it should
be publicly available...)

So, Carl (or somedody from RTOC, if they are following this), could you please
send me this PTF?  I'm reasonably happy with the current fix, so the PTF should
be relative to OSx 4.4 instead of OSx 4.0 (which is what I'm running now).  And
while you're at it, could you give them a swift kick for me and tell then to
ship me the bloody 4.4 tape?  I \would/ like to upgrade....

In article <32350 at pyramid.pyramid.com> csg at pyramid.pyramid.com
(Carl S. Gutekunst) writes:
>Would you believe a four-year-old Sentra station wagon?

Hey, mine's a four-year-old Sentra as well, although I've got the sedan.
Is this an instance of great minds thinking alike? (;-)
--
-- Greg Noel, NCR Rancho Bernardo   Greg.Noel at SanDiego.NCR.COM  or  greg at ncr-sd