compiling GNU Emacs 18.51's data.c -OG -v on Pyramid OSx 4.0

Charles Hedrick hedrick at athos.rutgers.edu
Sun Jul 24 08:57:10 AEST 1988

>Has anyone else observed this with any other optimizing compilers?

Bugs in optimizing compilers are notoriously common.  Technology must
be improving, because Pyramid's and Sun's recent optimizers are fairly
good.  But the Sun 4.0 compiler on a Sun 2 loops when compiling one of
the Gnu Emacs modules.  (It would be interesting if it is the same
one.)  And of course C compilers for the Intel chips (both MS-DOS and
ATT's compiler for System V/286) are notorious for causing trouble.  I
haven't seen a loop in the 286 compiler I use yet, but I have seen
lots of cases where the cc top-level says /lib/optim blew up, so it is
not using optimization, or where cc as a whole coredumps.  I've even
seen some cases where bad code is generated.  That's quite rare on Sun
and Pyramid compilers.