Out of memory problems.

Nate Hess nate at mipos3.intel.com
Tue Jul 26 23:45:31 AEST 1988

In article <2343 at rtech.rtech.com> daveb at llama.UUCP (Dave Brower) writes:
>My emacs was running on a system that was short of swap space.  While
>reading in new mail to an RMAIL buffer, I got an "out of memory" error.
>Emacs had not read the mail into the buffer, and the mail was gone.

>It would be a good idea to keep mail around until it has been read in OK
>and the save of the RMAIL file completed.

This is indeed what happens.  Your mail gets copied into ~/.newmail from
the spool area, then it gets copies into the RMAIL buffer, and *then*
~/.newmail is deleted.  So, if you get an error while the RMAIL buffer
is copying the mail from the spool area, ~/.newmail will contain what
was in /usr/spool/mail/<user>.

--woodstock
--
	   "How did you get your mind to tilt like your hat?"

...!{decwrl|hplabs!oliveb|pur-ee|qantel|amd}!intelca!mipos3!nate
<domainish> :   nate at mipos3.intel.com		ATT :    (408) 765-4309