SLIP on a Pyramid

Carl S. Gutekunst csg at pyramid.pyramid.com
Sun Mar 13 06:45:02 AEST 1988

In article <274 at uowcsa.cs.uow.oz> david at uowcsa.cs.uow.oz (David E A Wilson) writes:
>Has anyone managed to configure SLIP to work on a Pyramid (90xe, OSx4.0).

Sure. It will be a supported product in OSx 4.4, now in beta test. Harrass
your salescritter if you want to be a beta test site.

I suspect that the problem you had porting the Sun/VAX version to OSx 4.0 is
that OSx 4.0 is 4.3BSD; it sounds like you had the 4.2BSD version of SLIP.

Performance has been pretty good; we had to make some minor modifications to
get dropped packets on the source side to work properly. (Otherwise we occa-
sionally got long TCP timeout delays.) rlogin over a 19.2K SLIP line is not
visibly different from rlogin over Ethernet. Of course, when you get several
people doing cat /etc/termcap at the same time, it gets a bit sluggish. :-)
We've also just started running SLIP on the Telebit TrailBlazer between here
and Ames; interactive really stinks (1 to 4 second echo delays), but that's
because the TrailBlazer is half duplex.  File transfer is better. We'll be
compiling (and posting) specific numbers as the project moves along.

<csg>