Fortran print called from C prog. goes to file fort.6 . Why?

Mike Hummell mike at lll-lcc.aRpA
Thu Mar 10 07:20:33 AEST 1988

When we call a fortran subroutine from a C program,  the fortran print
statement ends up in file "fort.6" instead of on the terminal,  whereas
the same fortran print stmt. will go to the terminal when called from a
Fortran program and compiled/loaded with F77.  How can we get the fortran
print to go to the terminal (called from the C program).  The example is:

>type prog1.c
main()      /*  test calling fortran subroutine from C program  */
{
printf("begin c program\n");
sub1_();    /*  Need to add "_" after fortran subroutine name   */
printf("end c program\n");
printf("end c program\n");
}

>type sub1.f
      subroutine sub1
      print 1000
 1000 format(' fortran subroutine ')
      return
      end

>f77 -c sub1.f

>cc prog1.c sub1.o -lF77 -lI77 -lU77 -lc

>a.out
begin c program
end c program

REMARK:   The output, " fortran subroutine ", is in file  "fort.6" .
QUESTION: Why doesn't it come out to the standard output device (terminal?)
?

"Si Vis Pacem, Para Bellum"  --  Vegetius