ELM under OSx4.1 Pyramids

Greg Hackney mechjgh at tness7.UUCP
Wed Mar 30 13:06:12 AEST 1988

I certainly appreciate all the recent postings about the mail and uucp
characteristics on the Pyramid, especially Carl's info.

In article <17784 at pyramid.pyramid.com> csg at pyramid.pyramid.com (Carl S. Gutekunst) writes:
>I just reread this, and I'm not sure if you mean mailers or UUCP.

I meant UUCP. We are using 2 modified versions of HDB "cu". One has
file capture features, the other one executes a script file
for automatic logon and command execution.

I had some trouble with the lock files. It turned out to be the
fact that the att universe uses ASCIILOCKS, and the ucb universe
uses binary locks. My att programs were trashing the Berkeley locks,
so I had to modify the progs to recognize them.  I asked the question
about flock() at first suspecting it. Problem solved.

Our machine is the one that split the /usr/spool/uucp directories
into 2 universes: We are using all the mail facilities on both
universes. Some of the supporting administrative files, i.e.
cleanup programs, status programs, interfered with each other
in the differrent universes. Splitting them seems to have
solved all the problems, and it took 20 seconds to do.

There was also a problem that the ucb universe creates new
mail files with a mode of 600, and the att, a mode of 660. So,
the att people can't read their mail from ucb people. This
was fixed by installing smail 2.5 on the att side, and having
sendmail call smail. (Honey's shell script in smail 2.5 that
builds sendmail.cf files was a big help for a sendmail novice.)

>UUCP uses lock files, like it always has. Too many things would break if it
>were changed to use flock().

Thanks Carl. That answered my original question. It is a terrible
thing to not have access to the Pyramid source code, but we are
working on it.

If anyone modifies the ELM code for flock(), I would appreciate
a copy of the affected files. Our Elm 1.5 is highly hacked over, so
mods in any condition would be fine.
--
Greg