Solution to Problems with UUCP/modems.

Dave Martindale dave at onfcanim.UUCP
Sun Sep 4 07:28:43 AEST 1988

In article <14170 at comp.vuw.ac.nz> duncan at comp.vuw.ac.nz (Duncan McEwan) writes:
>We were still puzzled by the fact that the modem did not behave like this every
>time.  It turns out that the Quattro determines both the terminal baud rate
>*and parity* from any "at" command.  When in data mode it converts all data
>from a remote modem to the parity determined this way.
>
>The (old) Quattro manual I have does not document this "feature", but I have
>spoken to one of the distributors engineers who says his manual does.
>But he also claims the Quattro is behaving perfectly reasonably.
>Is he right?  How many other modems behave like this?

I believe that a modem's job is to get bits from one place to another,
without changing them.  I have never used any modem where it was even
possible to ask it to do parity-bit stripping in data mode.  Any modem
that decides to throw away some data bits by default is, in my opinion,
a piece of junk.  Without some sort of explicit instructions to ignore
the 8th bit, the modem *must* assume that all bits are data.

Parity stripping in command mode may be quite reasonable, but not in
data mode.

	Dave Martindale