Pyramid's "non-standard" C compiler

Ken Spagnolo KSpagnol at massey.ac.nz
Tue Aug 1 13:30:53 AEST 1989

Don't get me wrong.  I quite like our Pyramid 9815.  There is, however,
one thing that has caused numerous problems for people porting software
around here.  I apologize if this has been discussed before.  In fact,
I'd be quite surprised to hear it hadn't.

I refer to the fact that in Pyramid C, given 'struct x x;', a call to
function y() like 'y(x);' will pass to y() the entire structure x, rather
that just a pointer to x, as is the case with all other C compilers I know
about.  This causes a fair amount of havoc when trying to bring up pd
software that hasn't been 'Pyramidized'.  We have gone thru several painful
experiences with things like atalkad where we had to use lint, or some
less scientific method, to figure out where to change occurences of y(x)
to y(&x), etc.

What do other Pyramid users do about this?  Has anyone come up with an
easy method of discovering where changes need to be made, or written a
program to do so?  Would it not be a simple matter to have a cc option
that turned off this feature?  Might there be an undocumented one already?
All responses are appreciated!