att mailx under osx4.4

Carl S. Gutekunst csg at pyramid.pyramid.com
Fri Feb 10 10:02:34 AEST 1989

In article <8902091737.AA00180 at era.ucar.edu.UCAR.EDU> era at NIWOT.UCAR.EDU writes:
>I took the advice of the mailx man page and did the following:
>
>o In /usr/.attlib/mailx/mailx.rc, I put in the line
>  "set sendmail=/usr/.ucblib/sendmail" so mailx would use sendmail.
>o In /usr/.attlib, I created a symbolic link
>  sendmail.cf -> /usr/.ucblib/sendmail.cf.

Aaarrrrgggghh. This doesn't work; never has. I've seen a lot of sites do this,
and always wondered why. It never occurred to me that some idiot put it in the
man page.

The correct technique is in the OSx System Administrator's Guide, to whit:

- In /usr/.attlib/mailx/mailx.rc, put the line:

	set sendmail=/usr/lib/sendmail

- Create a shell script in /usr/.attlib/sendmail, that contains the following:

	exec /bin/ucb /usr/lib/sendmail $@

OSx 4.4 was *supposed* to ship this way; I checked the release and mailx.rc
is correct, but /usr/.attlib/sendmail is missing. I will make sure this is set
up correctly in the OSx 5.0 release. (I'll also fix that broken man page.)

<csg>