VM allocation question

Karl Kleinpaste karl at cheops.cis.ohio-state.edu
Fri Jul 21 22:34:07 AEST 1989

I have a user who has a program with these stats, as reported by
size(1):

text    data    bss     dec     hex
28672   4096    1318008 1350776 149c78

The machine on which he's trying to run it is a 9825 running 4.4c with
a single standard 30Mb swap partition.  pstat -s reports, e.g.,

18312k used (4904k text, 0k shm), 11576k free, 4766k wasted, 0k missing
avail: 4*512k 9*256k 27*128k 29*64k 27*32k 32*16k 536*2k

but when he runs the program, he immediately gets a complaint, "a.out:
Not enough memory."  I have been looking for possible causes for this,
since the amount of space available is really fairly substantial
(considerably more than he will need).  I am wondering if the problem
is due to his BSS section being so large, in combination with pstat
reporting that the largest available single chunk is only half that
amount.  Am I on the right track?  Is the problem due to badly
fragmented space?  Or should I be looking in some other dark corner?

--Karl