modems, security

Mail Delivery Subsystem MAILER-DAEMON at OCDIS01.AF.MIL
Sat Jul 8 04:39:15 AEST 1989

A couple of questions...  First, I have several Hayes-compatible modems
on my system.  I'd like to automatically program them whenever the
system reboots.  Question is, how do I talk to a modem from the backside?
My only thought would be to try and write a nam script.  I want to create
a file which contains port numbers and comm parameters, and then have a
script file stuff the params into the modems.  It needs to be smart enuf
to know whether or not the modems are answering (ie: if their working).

Second, is it possible to monitor an incoming serial line by any means
other than putting a printer on the port?  Other operating systems that
I have worked with allow you to "snoop" on a port's activity from the
console or administrative account.

Third, does anyone know how to keep login from printing BADTTYLOGIN
messages to the console?  I want them in my /usr/adm/badlog, but NOT
on my console (it's a big waste of paper to the logging printer we've
got set up).
Bob Johnson, LOGDIS System Administrator |  "..and I chose the road less
Tinker Air Force Base, Oklahoma City     |  travelled by, and that has
telnet: robjohn at ocdis01.af.mil           |  made all the difference."
 phone: (405) 739-5038                   |                H.D.T.