bind 4.8 under OSx 4.4c

Carl S. Gutekunst csg at pyramid.pyramid.com
Fri Jul 21 03:43:15 AEST 1989

>Does the boot process require that floppy to be present?
>If so it's a scary thought. A chain is only as strong as its weakest link.

Like I said, feel free to suggest something better! No other media that could
store 300K of data and that was available in 1985 was as reliable as a plain
ol' 5" floppy. The floppies do die from time to time (of the five machines I
use, we've lost one in the past two years); so you keep extras. No problem.

The MIServer uses a RAM catridge -- a technology unavailable in 1985 -- mostly
because some customers complained about the floppies. Not because the floppy
didn't work, or wasn't reliable, but because they were squeemish about doing
IMPL from a floppy. Always happy to please, Pyramid got rid of the floppies.
Of course, the RAM catridges cost $80 each, while a floppy costs 50 cents.

<csg>