Pyramids and Telebit TB+ modems

Carl S. Gutekunst csg at pyramid.pyramid.com
Sun Jun 11 07:52:49 AEST 1989

In article <337 at nixtor.UUCP> davidm at nixtor.UUCP (David Macklem) writes:
>I have a Nixdorf Targon 35 running TOS3.3 (I don't know the corresponding
>Pyramid version number but the att side is SVR2 not SVR3 and the uucp is not
>HDB).... When I first hooked up Telebit TB+ modems to my Pyramid, transfers
>over these modems via uucico at 9600 baud caused disturbing messages on the
>console:  "itp41: port0 uart overrun".

Egads. You're on OSx 3.1. You are seeing a bug in the ITP microcode that was
fixed here in August 1986. You can reduce ITPHOWOFTEN, although that can be
self-defeating since doing so hurts overall system throughput. The real solu-
tion is to work through the proper Nixdorf channels and get the current ITP
microcode. I don't know if there are any compatability issues involved, or if
Nixdorf has modified the microcode from Pyramid's version.

Something else that will help is using RTS/CTS hardware flow control. You
should be doing that anyway, since the TrailBlazer has problems if you leave
its XON/XOFF flow-control enabled when UUCP transfers are done. (Everyone at
Telebit keeps telling me that the TrailBlazer automatically turns of XON/XOFF
when the modem goes into "uucp spoof" mode. My experience says that's not the
case.)

<csg>