Product Documentation (Was: Are users stupid?)

Carl S. Gutekunst csg at pyramid.pyramid.com
Tue Sep 12 13:45:50 AEST 1989

In article <1888 at scicom.AlphaCDC.COM> rcw at scicom.UUCP (Robert White) writes:
>Most companies are unwilling to put what it takes into technical documen-
>tation.

True....

>They hire inexperienced people who may or may not be technically oriented.
That's rarely the problem. Far more common is that companies hire writers for
their technical expertise, but don't bother to find out whether they know how
to *write*. What you end up with is user documentation that looks like it
written by an engineer who came late into the project.

I can teach someone the technical stuff, if they are willing to learn. But I
sure can't teach 'em how to write.

Followups to comp.software-eng only.

<csg>