ls, universes and nfs

Steve DeJarnett steve at qe2.tcspa.ibm.com
Sat Sep 30 09:37:37 AEST 1989

In article <1989Sep28.145106.3723 at tubsibr.uucp>, petri (Stefan Petri) writes:
> Today I tried for the first time to import a filesystem via nfs :
> # mkdir /usr/mnt
> # mount mplsun:/usr/users /usr/mnt
> /usr/mnt: not owner
> -> what does this mean ?

	I suspect (although I don't know for sure) that it means that the
directory is owned by a user-id that doesn't map across NFS (i.e. the
directory is probably owned by root on the Sun, which gets shipped across
NFS as -2 (or whatever nobody is), which is not the same as the owner of the
directory on your Pyramid (probably root).  If you change the owner of the
directory to nobody, this might go away.  In any case, it doesn't cause
problems.

> # mount
> /dev/iop/pdisk00a on / type 4.2 (rw,noquota)
> /dev/iop/pdisk00k on /usr type 4.2 (rw,noquota)
> /dev/iop/pdisk00l on /u1 type 4.2 (rw,noquota)
> /dev/iop/pdisk00e on /u2 type 4.2 (rw,noquota)
> mplsun:/usr/users/mplsun on /usr/mnt type nfs (rw)
> -> I think, the mount succeeded

	It must have, otherwise mount would have complained, and the
entry wouldn't show up from mount.

> # ls -a /usr/mnt
> #
> -> The ls did'nt even show "." and ".." !
> # ls -ld /usr/mnt
> drwxr-xr-x 14 root          512 Sep 22 13:39 /usr/mnt

	It looks like ls(1-att) doesn't know about NFS (which would
make sense, since AT&T supports RFS (they may now have NFS -- I
don't really know).  When I ran a Pyramid, we did all of our
administration on the BSD side, and NFS always worked fine for us.
It could be that in keeping the AT&T and the BSD sides separate,
Pyramid didn't allow for ls(1-att) to work on NFS filesystems.
This seems somewhat strange, but it guarantees that it will behave
as the System V ls(1) command is expected to.

	You might bug your Nixdorf sales critter about the
problem.  It may have been fixed in OSx 4.4 or 5.0 (I don't know
if Nixdorf has a corresponding release of 5.0 yet, but I seem to
recall seeing other people saying their Nixdorf OS was equivalent
to OSx 4.4 in the past).  I don't have access to a Pyramid right
now, otherwise I'd check to see if it was fixed in OSx 4.4.

	Steve DeJarnett
	IBM Advanced Workstations Division -- Palo Alto
	ibmsupt!ibmpa!steve at uunet.uu.net
		     or
	steve at polyslo.calpoly.edu

Disclaimer:  I speak only for me, etc.  In no way do I speak for
	IBM.