Product Documentation (Was: Are users stupid?)

William Thomas Wolfe,2847, billwolf%hazel.cs.clemson.edu at hubcap.clemson.edu
Sun Sep 3 04:06:05 AEST 1989

>From markd at salmon.rtech.com (Mark P. Diamond):
> if this is my first time using a computer, how do I know that the
> power comes from the outlet, and not say the bridge lines, cabling
> or other wires?  Obvious?  My telephone doesn't have an AC plug.  [...]

    An excellent point.  Another example: I just came from a laundromat
    at which I encountered two gentlemen from a foreign country, who had
    considerable difficulty figuring out how to operate the washers and
    dryers.  Both of them spoke excellent English, and both seemed quite
    intelligent, but the directions printed on the washer were NOT clear.

    Their primary problem was that the washer directed them to insert their
    coins into the slots (not bothering to specify the precise type of coin,
    of course), and then failed to tell them that they had to push the coin
    holder in and then pull it back out again.  They waited for a while for
    the washer to start, but to no avail.

    Whose fault was this?  Not the user's... this was totally a result of
    inadequate user documentation, caused by a failure on the part of the
    technical writer to identify and describe all relevant actions.

    Here's another example: automobile owner's manuals frequently specify
    that one is to change the oil periodically, but manage to avoid any
    indication of where one is to put the oil in after draining out the
    old oil.  Since there are quite a few caps on the engine, the question
    of which one to pour the oil into is nontrivial.  The failure of the
    owner's manual would not be fatal if the caps were labeled with letters
    like "OIL", and indeed letters are placed on practically everything on
    the engine which indicate obscure part numbers, etc.  But there is
    absolutely NO lettering which is designed to help the user figure out
    which cap is associated with which fluid!!!

    Once again... a very poorly documented product.

    Most software engineers understand completely the need to define
    variables before using them; why do technical writers not understand
    the need to define precisely what is to be manipulated and precisely
    how to go about manipulating it, for each possible user action???

> What I am really arguing against is the arrogance of engineers who can't
> design real systems for real people to use, and the arrogance of service
> people who believe their time too precious to waste on "stupid" people.
> Maybe, just maybe the system you designed Mr. Engineer isn't as easy to use
> or install or fix or whatever as you think.  Don't pass the buck onto me
> for being stupid.  Or worse, if I the user haven't mentally put all the
> pieces together, if I'm having a bad day and my boss is pushing me to get
> this system online and I run into what I think is a problem, and I call you
> Mr. Field Sevice Person, don't treat me like an idiot.  Help me solve
> our problem.

    Precisely.

    Bill Wolfe, wtwolfe at hubcap.clemson.edu