Problem porting X11R4 clients to OSx5.0

Gordon Prieur gprieur at pyramid.pyramid.com
Tue Aug 7 02:36:30 AEST 1990

In article <1990Jul23.124154.19068 at oracle.com> pmcmahon at oracle.com (Peter McMahon) writes:
>So I get my X11R4 tape and do the biz about configuration files, point
>a compiler at it and it all seems to compile and work nicely, BUT...
>
>I can't "su" from within an xterm.  If I try it says "Password:\nSorry".
>Interestingly enough, if I run a script(1) from within the xterm I can
>su without incident.
>
>Sounds like sick psuedo terminal characteristics to me, but what is su
>trying to set?  Also, xterm _appears_ to be sending all output unbuffered
>to the server.  I say this because I'm using a slow X-terminal and I can feel
>the gaps between the characters.
>
>Anybody got any bright ideas?

    Did you compile X in the att or ucb universe? In order to be able to
su from the att universe, you need an att utmp entry. If your xterm was
compiled in the ucb universe and run in the att universe, su should fail,
and corrupt the att utmp file. There are various other utmp problems which
could cause problems. See if you have a utmp entry on the xterm you want to
su from. If not, that could be your problem.

    Just for the record, I've compiled and run the X11R4 xterm with no
problems (and no major code changes).

		 Gordon Prieur
      -m-------  Pyramid Technology Corporation
    ---mmm-----  1295 Charleston Rd, P.O. Box 7295