Ada compiler

Carl S. Gutekunst csg at pyramid.pyramid.com
Tue Dec 25 05:46:55 AEST 1990

>>Last I heard they got it to the point where it ran Dhrystone almost half as
>>fast as Dhrystone on the C and Fortran compilers.
>
>I believe that Carl was not being sarcastic here, though it's hard not
>to read his posting that way.

Sorry, I worded that horribly. I definitely was not being sarcastic. Anyone
who is familiar with both ADA and the Dhrystone benchmark would appreciate
that, given an architecture like the Pyramid's, an ADA compiler that can hit
anywhere near half the Dhrystones of the C compiler is a major accomplishment.
(For starters, Dhrystone is heavily tilted towards byte array manipulation.
ADA has to do bounds checking on all that; C and FORTRAN do not.)

>-Wendy T., remembering the good times at Pyramid

You are welcome back any time. :-)

<csg>