Ada compiler

Carl S. Gutekunst csg at pyramid.pyramid.com
Fri Dec 21 10:34:14 AEST 1990

>Pyramid withdrew their Ada compiler from the market. They did not have enough
>buyers.

True. It never seems to come up on RFPs any more, either. A shame that so many
good people wasted so much effort on it, only to watch all interest die. Last
I heard they got it to the point where it ran Dhrystone almost half as fast as
Dhrystone on the C and Fortran compilers.

OBLIGATORY SNIDE REMARK: I recall 10 years ago a highly esteemed colleague
telling me that, "ten years from now, if you don't know Ada, you won't be able
to find a job." I read a lot of trade press saying the same thing. Now people
with equal education and experience are telling me that the OSI end-to-end
services will inevitably replace TCP/IP, and for essentially all the same kind
of reasons.  ("It is a standard. The Government will require it." etc.)

Any bets? :-)

<csg>