Memory fault - core dumped

USENET News System news at massey.ac.nz
Wed Dec 19 14:19:13 AEST 1990

A few weeks ago, perhaps coincidentally right after a brown out,
perhaps not (our Pyramid did not go down as a result, though
other machines did, causing the Pyramid to need rebooting), we
started seeing some programs core dump with a memory fault.
This stopped when the kernel was rebuilt, but has just occured
again on one of the same programs as before.  It happens to be
a telepager at the end of a mailer, so the message comes back
in the form of a bounce:

telepage: 23739 Memory fault - core dumped

I believe the number is the pid, but have been unable to find out
anything more, even with the debugger.  Interestingly, recompiling
the program fixes the problem - for a while.

I've never seen this error mesage before this started.  Can anyone
shed any light?  We have a 9815 with 5.0.  Thanx.
K.Spagnolo at massey.ac.nz