Adding a drive

Andrew Burt aburt at isis.cs.du.edu
Fri Dec 14 06:42:10 AEST 1990

We have a Fujitsu Super eagle (2361A) from another system -- and I'd
like to know if anyone has configured one for a pyramid...?

I gave it a shot, but it doesn't format (gives ECC errors; but the
disk worked fine elsewhere, so I pretty sure the disk is ok).  This is
on an IOC.  Rumor has it that IOC's only support up to 1.9Mb/s xfer rate,
and the super eagle is 2.4... If so, is the 2.4 hardwired, or is there
some jumper, or will it automatically send slower?

If that's not an issue, then:  How does one calculate "gap1" and "gap2",
and relatedly, #sectors/track, for the conf.c tables?  I got the *minimum*
gap1/2 #'s from Fuji, but what does OSx and/or the controller need?
Likewise, how big are the sector header/trailers -- hard to calculate
#sec/track without that.  I.e., would a too small gap1/2 cause ECC errors
like we get?

Any clues, anyone?  Pyr Tech. Spt. didn't seem to have any clue.
--
Andrew Burt 				   			uunet!isis!aburt
								or aburt at du.edu

                            "Kwyjibo on the loose!"