Quetion about /dev/iop/plp0 magor device number

Mike Oliver moliver at pyrshadow
Fri Jan 12 08:54:09 AEST 1990

In article <25acde0a.4600 at polyslo.CalPoly.EDU> hoyt at polyslo.CalPoly.EDU (Sir Hoyt) writes:

>	Ok, I forgot to say we are running OSx5.0.  Maybe they changed??

Apparently they have.  On an OSx4.4 system ...

	[sugar] ls -l /dev/iop/plp0
	c-w--w----  1 lp        48,   0 May  4  1988 /dev/iop/plp0

while on OSx5.0 ...

	[pyrps5] ls -l /dev/iop/plp0
	c-w--w----  1 lp        43,   0 Jan 11 11:55 /dev/iop/plp0

And as cal at pyrtech (Craig Alan Levin) noted in <98007 at pyramid.pyramid.com>,
the major number can be verified by looking at the cdevsw[] table in
/usr/sys/conf/conf.c, which on OSx5.0 contains the entry

	/* 43 */ {	/* IOP printer */
		glpopen,	glpclose,	nodev,		glpwrite,
		nodev,		nodev,		nodev,		0,
		seltrue,	nodev,		SLAVEOK,	0,
		sio_nodev,
	},

So your /etc/makedev is correct and it looks like the man page for
plp(4) didn't get updated in the 5.0 release.  I'll pass this on to
the appropriate people.  Thanks for pointing it out.

Mike.

moliver at pyramid.com
{allegra,decwrl,hplabs,munnari,sun,utai,uunet}!pyramid!moliver