Does OSx5.0 have anything like the Ultrix /etc/svcorder file?

Ken Spagnolo KSpagnol at massey.ac.nz
Thu Jul 12 16:03:32 AEST 1990

I'm bringing up nameservers around the place and discovered the
/etc/svcorder file on a DECstation 3100.  In it you can list
the order in which you want host name resolving methods to be
tried.  If I have in it "bind" followed by "local", sendmail, etc.
will first consult named and, if that fails, look in /etc/hosts.
This seems like nice flexability that most systems don't have.
The Pryamid named man page says its "either or" based on the
existence of /etc/nameserver.  Is that the final word, or is there
some other way of doing it?  Thanx.

--
Ken Spagnolo - Systems Programmer, Postmaster, Usenet Administrator, etc.
   Computer Centre, Massey University, Palmerston North, New Zealand