strange behaviour of vi

Don Giberson djg at pyrnova
Thu Jun 28 03:52:17 AEST 1990

In article <1990Jun25.165806.16769 at tubsibr.uucp>
petri at tubsibr.UUCP (Stefan Petri) writes:

>On our pyramid-clone Nixdorf Targon/35-M50 (TOS3.3, something like OSx4.4,
>...so it seems we got the sysV-Version of vi for both universes
>(also this vi does not recognize resizing of an xterm :-( )

i just messed around with this one yesterday.  thanx to the x guru's here,
it now works, sorta.  [X works better in ucb than att, since that's what it
was written in/for.]

this discussion pertains to the terminfo entry for xterm/xterms from the MIT X
distribution.  xterm is defined as 80 columns by 65 lines; xterms is 80x24.
the ucb termcap responds appropriately to resizing of a window, at worst
using the `resize' command, at best with your window manager keeping things
happy.  but in the att universe, the window size is fixed at 80x65 or 80x24
(see above).  best suggestion:  use the LINES environment variable after
resizing your window.  (dunno what'll happen if you use other than 80 columns,
however!).  then kick off your att vi.

if the targon supports ucb, you might be happier running vi in ucb!

  Don Giberson / Pyramid Technology Corp / djg at pyramid.com / 415-335-8925
  <or>    ...!{allegra,decwrl,hplabs,munnari,sun,uunet,utai}!pyramid!djg
Standard disclaimer, etc. etc.