In/Out Modem on the same tty port ?

Glen Eustace GEustace at massey.ac.nz
Thu Jun 14 15:39:01 AEST 1990

I very much appreciated the discussion posted by <csg> in response to
my earlier posting.

I have since received a copy of acucntrl from Pyramid Australia and a
program called uutty from comp.sources.  I haven't tried the acucntrl
stuff but have played with the uutty code all day.  It seems to solve
the problem of the modem and the login process jabbering away at each
other but doesn't fix the tty contention problem.

The tty has crw-rw-rw as its rights but when tip tries to access the
line it gets

/dev/ttyi20: resource busy
all ports in use

it gets the same message when run as root.

I must be missing something really simple.  I had thought that Unix
was supposed to treat devices and files the same, if the permissions
allow shared access then shared access is possible, the onus being on
the programs to ensure that they do sensible things.  This would
appear to be correct for files but not for ttys.

  Glen Eustace, Software Manager, Computer Centre, Massey University,
   Palmerston North, New Zealand. Phone: +64 63 69099 x7440 GMT+12
             E-Mail via Internet: G.Eustace at massey.ac.nz