Xterm su problems on Pyramid

karl_kleinpaste at cis.ohio-state.edu karl_kleinpaste at cis.ohio-state.edu
Thu Nov 1 02:08:57 AEST 1990

matth at telxon.uucp writes:
   Has anyone tried compiling and running the X11 R4 xterm on a Pyramid 9820?
   I compiled it straight from the MIT tape and everything seems to be fine
   when running it with one exception.
   Whenever I try to run "su" or "passwd" it seems to shoot out extraneous
   CR's.  For example,
   % passwd matth
   Old password: < at this point xterm sends(?) CR before user gets a chance to
		   type
   Sorry.
   It seems that when these programs turn off echo, things get confused
   and a CR is sent.

The actual problem is a Pyr-specific glitch where /dev/tty is not
being attached to your xterm properly.  This has been discussed here
at least a half dozen times in the last couple of years.  Make the
change indicated below to your xterm sources, recompile, and you'll
have a functional /dev/tty in xterm again.

--karl