Help with "NFS server write failed"

Ralph A. Shaw ras at rayssd.ssd.ray.com
Wed Nov 14 03:42:08 AEST 1990

Just a little followup on my earlier message about getting hundreds
of messages like:

>NFS server write failed: (err=69, dev=0xf0648650, ino=0x2).
>NFS server write failed: (err=69, dev=0xf0722bf4, ino=0x2).
>NFS server write failed: (err=69, dev=0xf0648650, ino=0x2).

1) Yes, error 69 is probably "over quota" errors from one of many
client systems we have (and we do use quotas) on one of many file systems.

[As an aside, did anyone notice that the Pyramid 5.x man page is
truncated in the middle, after errno 64?  This is both in the online
and hardcopy version of the manual page.]

2) Yes, I know the significance of inode 2.

3) Someone made a comment about it disappearing when they upgrade
to release 5.0 - wrong.  We are running OSx version 5.0c-891204,
and we still have the problem.

What I really want to know is how to trace the dev= information
contained in the error message.  There isn't any obvious correlation
between major/minor device numbers, maybe they are vnode-numbers?

Any suggestions (besides restating #1-3) would be appreciated.
Ralph Shaw		ras at sgfb.ssd.ray.com
Raytheon Company, Submarine Signal Division, Portsmouth, RI