Help with Ingres on Pyramid

Shumate Jason jshumate at wrdis01.af.mil
Wed Jun 5 05:42:03 AEST 1991

We have a Pyramid 9805 with Ingres version 5.0/05a.  Essentially, we have
a database and need to provide a simple user interface to examine records,
change and update them.  I attempted to use Application By Forms (ABF) to do
it, but found ABF extremely unfriendly to use.  I have written a curses
program with embedded SQL to do what I want.  The ESQL preprocessor handled
my program OK, but I can't get it to link correctly.  The Ingres docs are
most unfriendly (please, no RTFM comments- I read the FMs and they are no
help).  The docs on ESQL sort of hint that one needs to include the files
~ingres/lib/libqlib, ~ingres/lib/compatlib, -lm and -lc when linking.  I
tried that, but I get a large number of errors, something like "missing
statement".  Simply compiling with -lm and -lc cuts the errors down to 4.
I suspect that I need to run ranlib on the ~ingres/lib stuff.  I attempted to
do so, but that failed also.  By the way, I did include -lcurses while
linking- my problem seems to be with the Ingres library, not curses.  Are
there any experienced Ingres users out there who would be kind enough to point
me in the right direction?  No one here has any Ingres experience, so there
are no local people to turn to for help.  If you don't want to post an answer,
email is fine.  I thank you in advance for any help.

--
CUL8R,                                | Unknown Actor:"Sounds like a lot of
Jason Shumate                         |   supernatural baloney to me."