netstat shows many finger processes in state CLOSE_WAIT

Darren Reed avalon at coombs.anu.edu.au
Wed Jun 12 01:45:39 AEST 1991

sean at coombs.anu.edu.au (Sean Batt) writes:

>G'Day,

>Pyramid 9825, OSX 5.1

>I keep noticing that netstat reports many connections to the finger
>port on this machine in the CLOSE_WAIT state. There are 7 of them
>sitting there doing nothing at the moment. Last week, before our most
>recent reboot, there were 39 of them.

>Is that going to be any sort of a problem? Should it happen at all? I
>admit we're running an old version of finger et al. No support for
>fingering remote machines despite an "OOPS! Sorry! Fixed in the next
>release," message from Pyramid 2 years and 2 major OS revisions ago.

>Hints would indeed be appreciated...

>Sean

>--
>------------- Sean Sebastian Batt - sean at coombs.anu.edu.au --------  .______.
>-------- Coombs Computing Section - Telephone: +61 6 249 3296 -----  | Damn |\
>-- Australian National University - GPO Box 4 Canberra City 2601 --  | Fine |/
>-------------------------------------------------------------------  `------'

I think i know the problem :

my plan is a pipe and the fingerd doesnt die when the other end is terminated.
(there was nothing on this end for the finger. :-)

should all be better now.
(I hope).
i noticed the problem the other day when there were quite a few processes
like this "nobody     finger avalon" in the ps listing *gulp*.

I'll kill the pipe ifyou like since the program needs to be executed when
it comes back up (like ircd) to stop this happening.

-avalon