netstat shows many finger processes in state CLOSE_WAIT

Douglas Ray ray at ariel.ucs.unimelb.edu.au
Wed Jun 12 09:53:10 AEST 1991

>From article <sean.676649600 at coombs>, by sean at coombs.anu.edu.au (Sean Batt):
> Pyramid 9825, OSX 5.1
>
> ...   we're running an old version of finger et al. No support for
> fingering remote machines despite an "OOPS! Sorry! Fixed in the next
> release," message from Pyramid 2 years and 2 major OS revisions ago.

Is this just a matter of no DNS support?  (I don't know your machine or OS)

You can pick up the berkeley network utilites (with DNS support) from
munnari via anonymous ftp.  You'll want to get:
	bsd-net/include.tar.Z
	bsd-net/getty.tar.Z
	bsd-net/lib.tar.Z
as well as any utilities you want, like fingerd.tar.Z and finger.tar.Z

If your gethostbyname(), gethostbyaddr() don't use DNS, you may like to
rebuild your libc to include the DNS versions in the above files.

						- douglas ray
						networks & comms
						unimelb